32bit Graphic Creation Help

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Daf_the_ticket
Engineer
Engineer

32bit Graphic Creation Help

Post by Daf_the_ticket »

I'm not sure this is the right place for this - but I wanted to know whether anyone had any advice for creating 32bit graphics for OpenTTD. All of the tutorials on the wiki seem to be out of date and nothing mentions vehicles. I would be using Blender, by the way.

Thank you.
:arrow: Way Out
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: 32bit Graphic Creation Help

Post by planetmaker »

There might not be an exact tutorial with a step-by-step guide. However in principle it's all the same like drawing except that you use a renderer to create images of models you created.

The sources zBase contains the blender files for all its vehicles. Similar holds true for OpenGFX+Trains which contains some 3D models. There are also many other train or vehicle NewGRFs in 32bpp and most have open source licenses as well, so the readmes should link you to their home and/or development pages.

https://wiki.openttd.org/Playing_with_32_bpp_graphics
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

What kind of vehicles are you going to make? A 32bpp ship or plane set would be nice.
Daf_the_ticket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Daf_the_ticket »

planetmaker wrote:There might not be an exact tutorial with a step-by-step guide. However in principle it's all the same like drawing except that you use a renderer to create images of models you created.

The sources zBase contains the blender files for all its vehicles. Similar holds true for OpenGFX+Trains which contains some 3D models. There are also many other train or vehicle NewGRFs in 32bpp and most have open source licenses as well, so the readmes should link you to their home and/or development pages.

https://wiki.openttd.org/Playing_with_32_bpp_graphics
Thanks for that, I'm sure I'll be on the right track to making a new NewGRF soon!
R2T9 wrote:What kind of vehicles are you going to make? A 32bpp ship or plane set would be nice.
I'm not sure yet. I was thinking of doing my favourite British buses (ADL Enviro400 "Euro 6", Wright StreetDeck, Optare Versa and such) and trains (Classes 390, 333, 170, 185 and many more) but I suppose I could do some ships and planes.
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

I have an idea: You could make a "British Vehicle Set:" trucks, buses, trains, planes, and ships! Or multiple sets. I dunno. Just a thought.
Daf_the_ticket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Daf_the_ticket »

R2T9 wrote:I have an idea: You could make a "British Vehicle Set:" trucks, buses, trains, planes, and ships! Or multiple sets. I dunno. Just a thought.
Woah, there friend - I've only just started dabbling around in all of this "NewGRF" stuff! It'll be a while before I can make anything that big! :D
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

Sorry...got ahead of myself. But 32bpp definitely needs more vehicles. The most pressing need, in my opinion, is ships. The base ships in OpenTTD frankly are pathetic. Just sayin'.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Daf_the_ticket wrote:I was thinking of doing my favourite British buses (ADL Enviro400 "Euro 6", Wright StreetDeck, Optare Versa and such) and trains (Classes 390, 333, 170, 185 and many more) but I suppose I could do some ships and planes.
the thing is, everybody and their mother already made a bus set, it's probably second to train sets. there's a significant dropoff towards other vehicle sets (trucks, planes, ships). you might find much better niches there
Daf_the_ticket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Daf_the_ticket »

Eddi wrote:the thing is, everybody and their mother already made a bus set, it's probably second to train sets. there's a significant dropoff towards other vehicle sets (trucks, planes, ships). you might find much better niches there
I know, I know - but none of them have all of the trains and buses I like and they most certainly aren't in 32bpp. I'm still not quite sure what I'll make yet, I just fiddling around with things at the moment.

Return to “Graphics Development”