[OTTD] 2cc TrainsInNML

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

How do you use the regional parameters?

Only one region enabled
14%
Multiple regions (but not all) enabled
31%
All regions enabled
54%

Total votes: 138

Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] 2cc TrainsInNML

Post by Voyager One »

Eddy Arfik wrote:
Emperor Jake wrote:while we're at it, perhaps the container wagons should also be refittable to mail?
+1 to this, container wagons should be able to carry all express cargos
+2 to this. Great idea!
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I have a question: Would anyone here be interested in a parameter or addon set that lets you use real-life liveries? :)

Also Voyager: I've seen a bunch of minor graphical errors in your stuff, I'll compile a list of them later. It seems you've gone through all the freight wagons and textured them, in the process accidentally adding non-CC blue pixels to some of them. There's also a few minor issues in your new stuff :wink:
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Emperor Jake wrote:Would anyone here be interested in a parameter or addon set that lets you use real-life liveries?
My penny - No.
Emperor Jake wrote:I've seen a bunch of minor graphical errors in your stuff, I'll compile a list of them later.
Please do that and PM me please.

Non-CC blue? That's weird, I keep the two CC colors strictly separated from other colors. Maybe that's something I've intentionally wanted in blue? Then again, I could have used a wrong "base" file with wrong colors... :?
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Voyager One wrote: My penny - No.
Well, you (or Transportman) wouldn't have to do anything - I'd do it all with recolour sprites :P I'm planning a potential unofficial add-on and want to know if people would use such a feature.
Voyager One wrote: Non-CC blue? That's weird, I keep the two CC colors strictly separated from other colors. Maybe that's something I've intentionally wanted in blue? Then again, I could have used a wrong "base" file with wrong colors... :?
One example: 4th gen self-discharging hopper
hopper2.PNG
hopper2.PNG (2.99 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Lionic
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Lionic »

Emperor Jake wrote:I have a question: Would anyone here be interested in a parameter or addon set that lets you use real-life liveries? :)
I would like to give it a try.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Emperor Jake wrote:One example: 4th gen self-discharging hopper
That yellow pixel? That one is intentional, not only here but on many cargo wagons. That should represent those cargo manifests that get placed on such wagons.

IIRC, I've especially gone wacko with those on some tanker wagons, having white-ish pixels for non-flammables and yellow or red for fuel-type cargos.

EDIT: Ah no, I've just noticed that one blue pixel on the roof, that must be some kind of mistake, you're right. I'll check them.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Emperor Jake wrote:I have a question: Would anyone here be interested in a parameter or addon set that lets you use real-life liveries? :)
As part of 2CC, I wouldn't be interested. But I think there would be interest in adapting a separate real-life livery set based on 2CC.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

That would require recoloring all the sprites from the set, wouldn't it? For me, that's too much work but if anyone is interested, my sprites are open game, simply let me know you're using them.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Intentional doublepost...
Emperor Jake wrote:non-CC blue...4th gen self-discharging hopper
I've ran ALL my freight wagons trough the TTDViewer and I've found 0 (zero!!!) non-CC pixels except those that I've placed intentionally.

I have no non-CC blue pixels on these 4th gen self-discharging hoppers either... :?

* puzzled face *
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Voyager One wrote:That would require recoloring all the sprites from the set, wouldn't it? For me, that's too much work but if anyone is interested, my sprites are open game, simply let me know you're using them.
Technically yes, but not manually. It would be done entirely in the code, the same way the Dutch Trainset recolours the bright orange loading sprites to different cargos.
Voyager One wrote:I've ran ALL my freight wagons trough the TTDViewer and I've found 0 (zero!!!) non-CC pixels except those that I've placed intentionally.
Strange, you must have different (older or newer?) versions of the files than the ones that have been coded. I've taken them out of the devzone repository and the blue pixels are definitely there. Anyway, it looks like your work there is done, just re-upload them so Transportman can replace the sprites I guess?

All I know is, at some point somebody went through the freight wagons, including the tankers I drew, and added random pixels to "texture" them, in the process adding the incorrect blue pixels to a few of them. Look closely at the differences:

These tankers don't have any incorrect blue pixels, but the three loading stages have slightly different pixels so they change while loading, which is silly for tankers. Preferably I'd like the vehicles I drew used unmodified, including the cat carriers; if this requires reuploading them to the devzone please tell me.
Attachments
tankers.PNG
tankers.PNG (36.21 KiB) Viewed 533 times
juzza1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by juzza1 »

I'm almost certain that no one added those pixels intentionally, but rather they are artifacts introduced at some undefined point in the history of those sprites. Fixing them automatically is hard/impossible, as the program would have to know which pixels should be cc blue vs normal blue.

If the sprite in question shouldn't have any non-cc blues, then it could be run through a program that changes all non-cc blues to their closest cc equivalent.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Or, we could just use the older sprites, which I have, and I assume Voyager has also.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Strange... all is very strange.

As I recall it, I've zipped and PMed Transportman all my "original" freight/pax wagons' drawings so they should be intact unless my computer messed with them on its own.

Noone else has messed with the repository, hasn't it?

EDIT: My Zip files can be found at the first page of this thread. I know I've made a couple of additions that Transportman has asked me but that's basically it. I can't remember if Jake's files are within those ZIPs.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Emperor Jake wrote:
Voyager One wrote:That would require recoloring all the sprites from the set, wouldn't it? For me, that's too much work but if anyone is interested, my sprites are open game, simply let me know you're using them.
Technically yes, but not manually. It would be done entirely in the code, the same way the Dutch Trainset recolours the bright orange loading sprites to different cargos.
While I will not make such a set, if it is going to be based on this set I'm willing to lend a hand, especially if things can be made easier to maintain/keep in sync between the two sets.
Voyager One wrote:As I recall it, I've zipped and PMed Transportman all my "original" freight/pax wagons' drawings so they should be intact unless my computer messed with them on its own.
That is also how I remember it. Only changes between the moment you zipped them and I included them, is that somewhere some red pixels changed to flashing, which I had to fix, and I had to rename the files. But apparently that red was not the only color that was replaced... If I look at the 4th gen hopper from your zip-file on the first page, it does not have the blue pixel, so very odd.

I guess it is easier to just replace all sprites with their older versions than modify them all. Maybe we can transfer it uncompressed, to see if that makes a difference (at least one less factor that can go wrong).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Transportman wrote:If I look at the 4th gen hopper from your zip-file on the first page, it does not have the blue pixel,
Neither does the file on my computer at home. So the problem must have occured somewhere on devzone, if it occured at all.
Transportman wrote:I guess it is easier to just replace all sprites with their older versions than modify them all. Maybe we can transfer it uncompressed, to see if that makes a difference
OK I'll upload all files (mind it, it's a lot of small files) somewhere on Google docs (if it will allow me to do so) and I'll share them with you. These will be all "original" files, only with those small changes that you've requested. There are no non-CC colors for sure on them, I've checked them one by one yesterday.

EDIT: Jake - a probably stupid question: does that pixel exist on wagons on the move, while the game is NOT paused? Is it possible that it is an overlap drawing from something else from the game?
Leon

Image Image Image Image
juzza1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by juzza1 »

I noticed the pngs in the zip file from the first page are RGB. What program did you use to convert them to indexed?
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

I didn't convert anything. I draw everything in the puny MsPaint and simply save them as PNGs.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Voyager One wrote:EDIT: Jake - a probably stupid question: does that pixel exist on wagons on the move, while the game is NOT paused? Is it possible that it is an overlap drawing from something else from the game?
This is the sprite taken directly from the devzone:
bluepixel.png
bluepixel.png (10.18 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Voyager One wrote:OK I'll upload all files (mind it, it's a lot of small files) somewhere on Google docs (if it will allow me to do so) and I'll share them with you. These will be all "original" files, only with those small changes that you've requested. There are no non-CC colors for sure on them, I've checked them one by one yesterday.
Perhaps try an uncompressed archive, such as tar?

Regarding indexing of images, MSPaint keeps whatever palette is used in png files, but has no easy way of finding out or changing the palette. Therefore an easier way to create paletted images is to work from an image that you know is already paletted. Preferably always with the DOS palette, as that has more colours than the WIN palette, which is only there because the windows version of TTD used it.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Emperor Jake wrote:sprite
This is what I have on my computer and what I've PMed Transportman. I'm either blind or there is no pixel there.
untitled.PNG
untitled.PNG (1.58 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
EDIT: Here's the .rar file with all freight wagons. I've uncompressed it 3 times on different computers and no files got screwed.
Attachments
Freight.rar
(3.42 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there is nearly no way this kind of pixel error happens upon compressing or transferring the files.

the only reasonable explanation is that $someone opened them in some image viewer, and saved them again, which screwed up some colours (like, merging some colours that have the same RGB value), then committed the files to the repo.

Return to “Graphics Development”