Broken PBS

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Greno Zee
Engineer
Engineer

Broken PBS

Post by Greno Zee »

Hi, seem to manage to break PBS. I would swear what you can see on the picture is not right. The train reserves the path to an opposite one-way signal when there's clearly a correct way to reserve. The reserved section begins in the station and through-signal is on the way.
I add the savegame as well.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out.

TTDPatch 2.6 Alpha 1931
Attachments
Broken PBS.png
(277.01 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
TRT07.SV1
Savegame. The train turns and reserves the wrong path.
(212.28 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
ttdpatch.cfg
(39.04 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Greno Zee
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Broken PBS

Post by Greno Zee »

And the newgrf.cfg
Attachments
newgrfw.cfg
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

That would be because that's a through signal. Trains can travel unrestricted against through signals, provided they reserve the corresponding path.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Greno Zee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Greno Zee »

DaleStan wrote:That would be because that's a through signal.
No, it's not a through signal. It's a normal one way signal in the opposite direction. I'm talking here about the pass on the left side of the screen. When the train reaches it, it turns around since it can't pass this one way signal and heads back.

I solved this particular issue by switching the sides but as I played on and let another train on this route, each train, as they entered the pass from west, reserves another path - one consistently the correct way, the other consistently the opposite side.

Similar issues started to appear on all newly built sections of my network. One thing that might have a connection - I first time noticed this after I used a routing restriction. But it didn't go away when I got rid of it...
Greno Zee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Greno Zee »

I wonder whether I've got here a legit bug report or just another manifest of my stupidity :roll:
I'm leaving tomorrow for 3 weeks with no/little internet access so it would be great if I knew this is just a faulty design so I can change it somehow and continue...
Otherwise I'll wait till the end of time, because this the first time I'm comming to patch knowing I'm here to stay - because of those great through signals I finally can make through-stations without lock-ups :bow:
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

OK. As far as I can tell, the design is legit, and the everything in the report is in order.

Is this also the first time you've used through signals? When I remove the through signal that I was first yammering about, the reservation goes in the correct direction.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Greno Zee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Greno Zee »

I've been using the through signals since about 4 weeks ago - haven't played more than a year before. This my second game and the first time I've encountered this. I didn't get far with the first game though, somewhere around 1945.

If you follow the line to west from the saved location, pass the 2 next stations, you'll see the same setup there and it's been build right at the beginning of the game and works just fine.

And indeed, if I put anything else legal in place of your favorite through signal the reservation goes fine...
Greno Zee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Greno Zee »

Hi again!
I just got back from the first part of my vacation and noticed in the change log a lot of PBS fixes. Great job and thanks! :bow:
Unfortunately testing with the savegame showed this particular problem still exists. I've tested with 2.6 Alpha 1966.

I just thought I'd bring this up before I leave for the second part of my vacation (if anyone passes Copenhagen in the course of next week, come and see the belgian national team loose at the European Champs in softball :roll: )

EDIT: got the city wrong
Greno Zee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Greno Zee »

Bump.

I've been away for a while, getting a son, building a house and such so i couldn't follow the recent development.
I found a minute to try whether this bug is still in 2069.

It is :twisted:
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

This should be fixed in r2070. My apologies for the slight delay.

JGR
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
kvtb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kvtb »

I've installed a2070, but for me it is a bit unusable, due to the large number of train crashes I get...
@JGR: I've attached two savegames for you, that may help you find the problem. Both savegames start at the correct spot, where the crash will happen. The crash dates are also known in advance. For kvtb1 it is 2 oct. 1989, for kvtb2 it is 21 june 2332.
Attachments
TRP27.SV1
kvtb1
(348.79 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
TRP29.SV1
kvtb2
(503.02 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
ttdpatch.cfg
config
(38.44 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

*That* will be probably fixed in r2071. If something else crops up let me know.

The code is a fitting tribute to his noodliness, but little else really...
I'm not sure how much of it is supposed to work either :/

Sorry for the repeated breakage.
JGR
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
kvtb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kvtb »

2071 seems to work fine, thanks!
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

I would've thought the original problem would be due to the two-way signals between the oneway signals of the main lines and the twoway signals of the train platforms...
Last known as: Weirdy
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

While that signal is (IMO) somewhat unnecessary, it should not actually cause a problem.

The problem was caused by the routefinding aspect of the pathfinder badly terminating it's routes on rear-entry through signals, such that the PBS reservation routefinding call did the rest of the route by default, so to speak. (This is a simpification, but as I can't remember from a functional/result point of view exactly what was wrong and how I fixed it, it's probably as good an explanation as I can come up with.)

The bug was with the code, not the layout, and would have affected any layout with a branch after a rear-entry tsignal.

The second bug was caused by the erroneous assumption that because of the previous bug fix, it is now permissible to end PBS routes on the rear side of tsignals, which is obviously bogus, and was just fixed by banning routes which don't end somewhere sensible, irrespective of the occupation state of the block.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Greno Zee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Greno Zee »

Thanks a lot, it works now.

That signal you refer to in the 2 previous posts is there to allow trains heading from left to enter the single track section without reserving a platform yet.

Also, no need to apologize for the delay, I'm ultimately grateful to anyone investing their time to this project. We all do what we can where we can ;)

This thread can be closed, i guess, and there's a bug tracker entry, it can be closed too.

Once more, thanks a lot!

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”