Current Status [april 2012]

Discuss a Transport Tycoon-like game being programmed by forum users.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Re: Current Status [may 2009]

Post by uzurpator »

eis_os wrote:My various small comments

4. Intermodule communication

You may want to look at: (Some kind of Microkernel design)
http://github.com/appcelerator/kroll
I'll give it a look over the weekend.
- Vehicles
I am missing trams (and so there won't be an one to one relationship anymore to roads)
Indeed. Missing. WIll add some.
- Collision detection
Needs special care and caching. (You don't really want to test against all vehicles all the time)
Indeed :)

[/quote]
6.1 GFXM classes / interfaces

6.1.1 Rendering window. , 6.1.2 Input collector
-> Needs drag & drop
[/quote]

Will add soon.
6.1.5 GUI
-> Should be resolution independent GUI / Vector based.
This is a toughie. We are either going to use an outside gui and embed a rendering context inside, or use a premade Ogre gui. Not much choices there..
7. Sound Module
-> The in-game/ambient sound fx should be callable by view, needs to get notifed of view changes to stop playing the right sounds.
FMOD supports this :)
10. Unique ID Management
Should the uniqueids network aware? Otherwise uniqueid aren't allowed to be in network packages and are only local unique.
Honestly - I did not give it a thought. But in essence - depends. Unique IDs are currently used for resource management (client local, obviously) and game object management (which should be share among clients) so both are useful.
I miss a path finding module, one of the most resource eating tasks is to get the right path.
Transport type handling module should handle pathfinding for a given transport type.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
neroden
Engineer
Engineer

Post by neroden »

lonwolf89 wrote:Ok so if it's okay with you, i'd need to upload what i've worked on a svn server, and the medias i'll handle on filefront. If you're ok with the non-tile-based system then i propose to start coding on what i've worked on so we get it far and bring lots of improvements to the current TTD (not just 3d graphycs and some new content).

Much of the 3D non-tile system "hard" things to code are sketched, in my mind or on paper: elevating tracks, pathfinding on them and many many more.
If you manage to get non-tile-based 3D right-of-ways (track/roads/bridges/tunnels -- complete with overhead and side clearance --) to work properly, with pathfinding and collision detection, and you have non-tile-based terrain, you'll have solved the two hardest problems, and the rest will just be a matter of copying techniques from other open-source programs, which I can do as well as anyone. :-) Please, I hopeyou can do that.

(Oh, and 3D graphics, but there seem to be a number of people ready to do that.)

For "coolness" reasons I would really like it if tunnels were actually holes carved out of terrain, and could have tracks/roads/etc laid in them without making "new tunnels". Same with bridges, basically. If you can really get that working you'll have an incredible edge over every other transport game and I'll really work to help get the rest of the game into place.

However, nobody has actually managed to implement this yet (and it's somewhat beyond my abilities). So far I only see stuff which has been done before. Consider it a challenge: whoever gets this type of tunnel and bridge working first, so that I can dig a tunnel without tracks and then lay tracks in it, that's the place we should start, and once that's in place I will really try to help with the other (easy!) stuff.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

[December 2009]

Dead.
uzurpator

Re: Current Status [march 2010]

Post by uzurpator »

Not quite dead. Just on life support.

If you have been wondering what I have been doing.

For the last 6 weeks I have been actvely writing a terrain generation/erosion/river pathing generator. I did this using as much ripped TE code as possible. So after some time I decided to try to give TE a shot once again.

Module by module, file after file it starts to grow. There is not much of it, something like 3-4 thousand lines of code. But there is a steady progress, so I am hopeful this attempt will me more successful then the last.

Currently I am writing content management module.
Attachments
screen_shot.jpg
screen_shot2.jpg
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I must admit I also thought the project had died again. Good to see you're working on it again!
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Trees somewhat work. Lightning does not work, due to being not implemented, but still.

Current work: Towns.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Current Status [april 2010]

Post by Zhall »

Pretty sexy.
James90012
Engineer
Engineer

Post by James90012 »

TE is one of those projects which doesn't fail to have me intrigued and follow along, it's a real shame I have no in depth knowledge of PCs and in particular coding files, otherwise of course I would help out. I guess therefore my input will be pretty limited to advice, ideas and/or criticisms. So far, the above image looks superb, seriously beyond my expectations showing that this will be one cracking game in the end. Just to double check, are the methods of laying track etc going to be based around the system used in Locomotion still? Or in recent times have other systems been considered and favoured? Keep up the great work guys!
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

I am amazed at those screens. I have played them all: Locomotion, Simutrans, OTTD, and each one has flaws. Locomotion has good graphics, but there is no auto-replace so it gets overwhelming when your company gets big. It can;t go before 1900. Simutrans has a better cargo management system than both OTTD or Locomotion, but there is no loan system, which gets to be extremely limiting. Its graphics aren't the best, either, although it beats OTTD. There is also no way to auto replace vehicles with newer models. OTTD has awesome vehicle management, but the graphics are bad. Most of its good features are because it is open. With out New GRF, it is not much better than its forerunner, the game it was based on.

If this game can combine all the good points of those games, I don't care if it takes 10 years. Great job to everyone that is still working on the project. I'd help, but like James my knowledge of coding and 3D objects design is very limited.
A fan of OTTD, Transport Empire
My creations: World Across Scenario
Steam power & local factories are the answer to America's problems. Oh, yeah. Representatives that represent are needed too.
ohlidalp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ohlidalp »

zc15-nyonker wrote:I am amazed at those screens ... Great job to everyone working on the project
Hello and thanks for the words of support.
Though I like OTTD the way it is, I share your idea of TE: To take the best features of all previous games and wrap it in 3D graphics. Unfortunately, there's little to no progress these days, or at least I haven't done anything here in ages.
Rigs of Rods maintainer.
Captain Zee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Captain Zee »

What (if any) progress has been made on this game, or is it finally dead for good?
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Revision 237 brought you this:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.15 KiB) Viewed 18268 times
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQyLgd_KV3A
mainmenu2.jpg
mainmenu2.jpg (68.21 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
Mainmenu.jpg
Mainmenu.jpg (71.62 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Current Status [november 2011]

Post by bokkie »

:)
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Game options dialog
Attachments
gameoptions.jpg
gameoptions.jpg (115.71 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

New game window
Attachments
new_game_window.jpg
new_game_window.jpg (97.43 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
Pilatus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pilatus »

Great work, I really like seeing this vision alive.

What kind of help would you like to keep up with this project? I would really love to help, and maybe 'headhunting' might be the thing I could do, beside UI and UX mockups.
If no end are at hand try your feet...
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Pilatus: Thanks for the encouragement.

Sadly - at the moment the only thing you can do to keep this going is ship me some amphetamine ;) because I need a skilled coder or two. But considering the current track record, that is not feasible to expect :)

An00bis - you there maybe?
Pottsy
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pottsy »

My opinion. TE looks exciting. I agree. I want to see the finished product.
Oh and while I'm here, Will TE be free or cost money?
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56094 My screenshots.
Formally know as Pottanda
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

The game is going to be free, most likely :)

Return to “General Transport Empire Discussion”