Potential TT-Forums Meets of 2010 (UK and USA/Canada)

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

I would like to attend a TT meet...

... in Edinburgh
13%
... in Manchester
18%
... in Edinburgh on the 3rd or 4th of July
9%
... in Manchester on the 3rd of 4th of July
10%
... somewhere else in the UK
22%
... in the US or Canada
28%

Total votes: 210

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Potential TT-Forums Meets of 2010 (UK and USA/Canada)

Post by orudge »

I'm making this a global announcement so that people who don't frequent the OT forum may notice it (I gather a few OpenTTD folks who may have wanted to attend the meet missed out on it by not reading the other forums, for instance.)

Now, as meet regulars will know, Andel, who has very capably organised the three official TT-Forums meets so far, won't be organising the 2010 meet. Originally, I had planned to organise a meet next summer in Edinburgh, and that might potentially still happen. However, if I am in the US at the time (as I hopefully will be), that might not be entirely practical. I've created a poll here - if you'd be interested in attending a UK meet in Edinburgh, please tick the appropriate box. I also have a particular date combination that might be practical for me - if you think you might be able to attend on that date, please tick that box too. (You can tick multiple boxes.)

And remember, for those of you in the south of the UK who think Edinburgh is hard to get to, it's really not. Stay the night in a hostel or something if need be, as a few of us did in London! Edinburgh also has a convenient international airport, good rail links, and all the rest.

Manchester is another potential candidate next year if organised by me. If you can make both, please select both.

The other thing I was contemplating was a North American meet. Now geography (requiring more time and money to attend the meet) and a lower concentration of forum users may make this more of a challenge. So I'd ask our North American forum lurkers: would you be provisionally interested in meeting up somewhere next year (a specific place to be decided based I guess upon responses)? The TT meets in the UK have been really rather good fun, and 2007 and 2008 both saw users coming not only from the UK, but further afield. Since I should be in the US next year, I'd be quite enthusiastic about setting up something similar there. But I realise that it might not be practical, or cheap, so I thought I'd ask. If you're interested in this, please post where you are and how far you might potentially be willing to travel, and we could try to figure out a) if it'd be worth doing and b) where to hold it!

Please vote if you're interested in attending a potential meet next year. If you're not, please don't vote. Any comments are also welcome, of course.

[edit by Andel]
Regrettably meets are aimed at 18+ due to the fact that we don't have event insurance - it's an informal gathering in a pub or bar somewhere. We do value our younger members but feel that we cannot accept responsibility for you. Sorry.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Potential TT-Forums Meets of 2010 (UK and USA/Canada)

Post by Redirect Left »

Manchester gets my vote ;)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dannilion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dannilion »

Edinburgh is preferable, but I'd also go to Manchester, so I guess I'll vote for them all.

As for the dates, depending on college and stuff, the 4th will probably be easier than the 3rd due to being a Saturday. I wouldn't discount the 3rd yet though as I haven't got next years term dates.
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

I would love to come to a meet up, but that date would be right in the middle of my A2 exams. I would probably make it if it was either not that date or in a place that I could get to and from on the day.
Paltala
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Paltala »

I chose Manchester as its the only place i would be able to get to due to being 14 (15 by next July) which brings me to my question(valid if the meet ends up in manchester), as i live in the Greater Manchester area, would i be able to attend despite being 15 (at time of meet) because last year, it was 18+ only if im right, correct me if im wrong.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

Post-exams and somewhere in the England is fine for me, funds permitting.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Vemarkis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vemarkis »

Edinburgh would be preferable, though anywhere else in the UK would be acceptable as well..
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Me, Ben and Mark (it seems weird to call them Sacro and Welshdragon after today) were thinking of an East Midlands meet not-too-far into the near future, possibly around Christmas. It would probably be a more informal thing like a pub meeting

Plus an Edinburgh meet would be almost out of the question regarding overnight stays if it clashes with the fringe - as anyone who's been to the Edinburgh Festival knows, finding accomodation, whether hotel or hostel is near impossible (as a guide, Travelodge during this period starts at £79 per night, with most around £120). If it wasn't during the Festival it would be a shame as it's a fantastic reason on it's own to goto Edinburgh and would certainly attract large meet numbers- so it's a double-edged sword :(

Edit: July 3 and 4 are difficult times for the younger ages due to school still running, and would be definately a no if an overnight stay is required :(
Last edited by JamieLei on 08 Aug 2009 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Anywhere in UK would potentially see me in 2010. However, I graduate from school in early June and I have no idea what the summer 2010 might hold for me
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
welshdragon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by welshdragon »

I'm going to have to say Manchester is a definite yes, as it is a journey i can do in a day. However Edinburgh is somewhere i'd also happily go - or even somewhere else, providing it is doable on a small budget.

Now: if we find the dates too difficult to manage, i am willing to co-ordinate the meet, and find a usable location (wheelchair and pushchair friendly), as well as organise a game (of sorts)...
Semi-Retired TT-Forums Member.
These days I'm:
[list][*]A Local Transport Representative for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Social Media Advisxer for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Volunteer and Fundraiser for Guide Dogs[/list]
flickr | twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Steam

I used to be an idiot called tycoonmarkj.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

JamieLei wrote:Edit: July 3 and 4 are difficult times for the younger ages due to school still running
Tsk, schools in Scotland finish a good bit before then, silly English and Welsh schools. ;) Anyway, it's all just to get an idea at the moment, nothing concrete.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Edinburgh would be quite perfect IMO. Nicely accessible from here and I am planning to visit there one day along with other parts of Scotland :o
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

Washington DC, That would be great
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

No, no, New York is the way to go.
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

Baltimnore or philly then
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Xrufuian
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Xrufuian »

For a meet in the US, it would be logical to be held in a more central location, such as Chicago. You have to remember that there are people on the west coast too.
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

no one that matters :P :wink:

petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

thats true. :D

but think about it? would you rather go to chicago, or the big apple?

edit: no, i am not from new york, just so you know im not byest.
LaSeandre
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by LaSeandre »

Edinburgh or Manchester, I'm down for whatever. But preferably Edinburgh as it is only 1hr 50 away by train, as opposed to 3-4 hrs. 3rd or 4th July are both fine for me also. And, if you need any help organising the meet, I'll only be too happy to help.
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

petert wrote:but think about it? would you rather go to chicago, or the big apple
Personally, I'd rather go to Seattle or Juneau, but that's just me. ;)
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0

Return to “Off-Topic”