The Great UK Meet of 2009-NRM, York, UK -8th Aug 09

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

The Great UK Meet of 2009-NRM, York, UK -8th Aug 09

Post by andel »

Dear all and the not so all,

It has come to my attention that the year has turned and it is time for me to once again start planning for the Great UK Meet of 2009.

York is the destination for this year, and activities once again will be planned. On 8th August 2009, we shall descend, ascend or saunter generally in the direction of the National Rail Museum, subject to permissions, from 11:00 approx onwards. The Game X-treme (Copyright Andel) will take place at approx 2PM. Please make your way to the Edmundson Room, The Search Engine (Main Hall).

If you intend to come, please sign the wiki at http://wiki.tt-forums.net/wiki/TT_Meet_2009

Important notice:

This year, 2009, will be a special meet for me. This will be the last meet I organise for a couple of years. Therefore, the prize of a Hornby Class 153 is on offer... with the number of 153311. It will also feature a special certificate and be DCC ready for the winner, if required. The Game is going to be a 20 question quiz. The topics have been decided and will be unveiled on the day.

Sadly, with the meet needing to go further north and then invariably west and south again, I don't think I can commit to organising meets into 2010/11/12 with the same knowledge of areas and enthusiasm that I have done for the past 3 years. With a growing child and a busy family life here, I think its time to pass the reins to others who can dedicate such time and energy to an event that has (hopefully) now got a reputation of fun, frolics and entertainment that features highly on everyones calendars.

Should you get lost, a mobile number on the day will be: 07884416967. This number has been provided by Brianetta and will only be functioning on the day.

Conditions apply. See packs for details. All calls cost £20000 per second and all profits go to my pockets.

Cheers kids.

Peas.
-----------

Small print does apply:
Under 16s are banned as Andel is not willing to be responsible for people or their safety. Foreign visitors welcome provided they buy Andel a beer. No one will be accommodated by organisers nor can we accept responsibility for missed trains, missed planes and mislaid laptops. We have no insurance for any thing that gets mislead nor accidents caused by tomfoolery (or Orudge) as it is an informal gathering, as it is every year. There will be no alcohol or food provided and it is recommended you bring cash with you for food and drink. Terms and conditions can be amended at any time. Telephone numbers for the organisation team will be available on the day.

Boring stuff:
This is all essential. Please read this. It is important not just for the Forums but for you as well. Please understand and make note of the following; a quiz will be at the end.

Introducing the team:
Andel - call 07884416967 on the day if you have any issues.

York, York, York... opened by the Queen in 1994, it is a walled city, sited at the confluence of two rivers - the Ouse and the Foss in North Yorkshire. The city is noted for its stupid bendy buses that have played an important role throughout much of it's Park and Rides existance.

Travel around York
Buses - lots of them - mostly ran by First Buses.

Food and drink in York
It doesn't exist. Well, it does but its not as expensive as London. Subway and Greggs are in abundance, but not in the NRM which has a small cafe. We recommend bringing a meal with you on the day.

Identify yourself
Please remember that York is a busy city full of Tourists and Police. Please try to keep a piece of identification about yourself, especially if you look as dodgy as Sacro.

Safety and Security
On the day, we will aim to have name stickers for all members attending. Please note that if you have said you will not be coming and then turn up, you may not have a badge. This leads us nicely to a sticky situation. Ultimately, we will not turn you away without good reason but please be understanding that security and safety of the group is paramount. We will not hesitate to take actions to ensure this. Again, if you are acting in a manner that might endanger the safety and/or security of the group, we will have to act accordingly. Please respect that any requests made by members of the TT-F Team(identifiable on the day by notes on any name tags) at all times.

Over Night Accommodation
There are a number of over night accommodation points in form of hotels, B+Bs and Youth Hostels. Please note that TT-F will not accommodate nor finance any accommodation of any members. It is your responsibility to ensure you are safely housed at the end of any day. Google can help you find such places. Foreign visitors are welcome provided they have such accommodation or are leaving straight after to a trainyPorty, hairyporto or shippydocka.

Final disclaimer
By no means are we responsible for any weather, acts of God or Gods, conditions outside of our control, yourself or your belongings - in effect "force majeur". Or whatever its called. We cannot and will not take any form of responsibility beyond providing activities and locations for this meet.
Attachments
final notes dossier 2009.pdf
(166.34 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Great UK Meet of 2009 - York, UK

Post by JamieLei »

I (sensibly, rather than stupidly) suggest that Andel (or someone equally prestigious/intelligent/fertile) takes a private list of mobile numbers, to avoid an unfortunate repeat of last year where someone turned up but couldn't find the meet :(

Looks good though. I shall be wearing make-up to meet Andel's expectations ;)
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Wiki page here. If you will be coming, or think you might, please update the page with your details!
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Does the NRM do conference/meeting rooms? Perhaps we could rent one for the day to rendezvous, and maybe leave our coats, laptops, and various other expensive items. I'd donate to such a cause!
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Such a meeting room would be quite awesome! I would contribute to such a cause.
Hopefully I'll finally be able to wrangle my way onto a train bound for York this year, as it's probably the first meet when a day trip without needing accommodation has been feasible. :D
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

http://www.nrm-events.org.uk/ has details on venue hire, but by the way they're presenting things on the site, I have a feeling it might cost £££. Anybody want to phone/e-mail them and find out? Their "Allport Room" is "ideal for boardroom meetings for 18 delegates. Both rooms have separate dedicated breakout areas." If we need somewhere bigger, it'd be their "Walker Suite", which "provides the perfect business environment for up to 120 delegates." The venue features Wi-Fi and suchlike. May be worth looking into.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Even if it does cost a fair bit, if we can get some, or even mosy people to contribute a bit, it should be easy to book somewhere.
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Well, first off - Born Acorn - it was on my list of things that I will be asking the NRM... I'll be organising the whole thing or delegating work to people who may need to do bits for me... I must ask now - please can NO ONE make any attempts to organise anything that I've not asked them to - the reason being that I can keep tabs on whats happening and where then.

Secondly, the wiki is an important part of my tools of planning for numbers - please do start to put your name down now... I'll be working out the date shortly. It will defo be August though.
Andel
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Us three are merely wildly speculating the future!
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I migh actually come on depending how much money I have in a few months which kind of depends on me moving out of the house or not. But I'll see what I can do and otherwise I'll just sleep on the streets :P
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The same applies to me, surprisingly, although I expect to make it in 2010 and not in 2009 :P I'm very short on money for the moment
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'll be willing to put one (1) person up for the night in my flat in Preston, provided the person in question puts the money up for the train fare.

As definites go, I'm definitely coming.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

sleeping in the beautiful manlove-filled chamber of bi-curiousness that is Dave's love shack should prove interesting for me. i probably will include this in my planned UK holiday.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

I can get a direct train from Liverpool to York, or from Peterborough to York..so I can/will attend and this time will not get myself lost *cough*
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

I don't know - I may be in Germany then which would make it a little tricky....

We shall see....
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Well its a bit far for me to go really :wink:
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Badger wrote:Well its a bit far for me to go really :wink:
Well, sober at least ;)
Andel
[/size]
welshdragon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by welshdragon »

woo! a meet that i can travel to for free!
Semi-Retired TT-Forums Member.
These days I'm:
[list][*]A Local Transport Representative for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Social Media Advisxer for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Volunteer and Fundraiser for Guide Dogs[/list]
flickr | twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Steam

I used to be an idiot called tycoonmarkj.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

I haven't been to York for quite a few years now.
Was going to go there last summer for a day but time and funds didn't allow me to.

Since I want to go to York again still, I might join the day (unless anyone has an objection to that :wink:). Least I can meet a few people and have a wander around the city.
Depends on the date mainly. I might be traveling in Scandinavia for a few weeks again this summer. Not sure which dates yet so I can't say yes or no for a while.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

All sounds dodgy :P. As soon as we can pick dates I will. Provided I know my summer break.

Return to “Off-Topic”