Open Source Sim Tower?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Dave

Re: Open Source Sim Tower?

Post by Dave »

Circeus wrote:
XeryusTC wrote:Abandon ware is not a legal term. There is simply no such thing and you might still be breaking your local copyright if you download "abandonware".
Now you're just being obtuse. There is most definitely a concept of abandonware (if there "was no such thing", then nobody could define it). It just has no legal standing whatsoever.
Obtuse fairly though - if I was, for example, in Germany, I could LEGALLY download Open Sim Tower. I couldn't LEGALLY download an abandoned copy of Sim Tower.

Seems perfectly right in my mind.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
noofnoof
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by noofnoof »

but no-one is going to chase you down, tie you to a lamp post and brutally flog you. (i hope)
rfrank
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rfrank »

Heya,

I'm a fan of SimTower, used to play that all the time. I am also a developer. I am currently working on a 2D game engine that's closed source (I haven't decided whether I want to open source it yet). It's written in C and uses SDL for input and graphics.

I'd be willing to work on a SimTower clone, and I would consider open sourcing my engine. The problem is that I'm not a graphic designer, and I'm frankly quite bad at graphics. So if I could get a bunch of artists to do all of the graphics, I could probably throw together a simple demo in a couple of days.

My engine currently has a simple state machine, labels, sprites (with separate animations, each with separate frames), parallax scrolled backgrounds, and of course general input (mouse movement, mouse buttons, etc).

Currently I'm writing a separate physics engine which could be integrated into the game engine to simulate 2D physical interactions in real time (collision detection, impulse response, etc). This wouldn't be useful for a SimTower clone, but still pretty exciting.

Here's a simple demo of the parallax scrolled backgrounds and an animated sprite:
http://russfrank.us/dl.php?fge_parallax.zip
Virus scanning:
http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresul ... 51cef076c7

WASD movement, he blinks when standing still, and no he can't jump or shoot. This is an engine demo, not a megaman clone. I just used megaman because the sprites are easy to find online and like I said, I'm not really an artist ;P Also, the background images are taken from the wikipedia article on parallax scrolling.

If anyone here is a good graphic artist and is actually serious about this, please do contact me (rfrank.nj [at] gmail [dot] com). All I'm looking for is graphic artists (and any other C developers). If you aren't one of these two things, wait until it moves a little further before you try and help out. No, I don't need website designers or hosts, I can do all of that stuff, just graphic artists or C developers.
Xrufuian
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Xrufuian »

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to mention that again OpenTower has moved, Hopefully for the last time.

Everyone interested is welcome, and especially need help with rewriting the game engine.

SF Homepage: http://opentower.sourceforge.net/
Our new site: opentower.wikkii.com
The new forum: opentower.wikkii.com/forum
Sourceforge Page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentower/
Ocram
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ocram »

OpenTower has become abandoned itself. There are currently 2 programs available that work (and were made because of this thread), Highrise Developer and PyOT (though PyOT is difficult to find though dunbrine is planning on uploading it to his forum, planetrandom.freeforums.org. I am currently the moderator there (because dunbrine is not good at that stuff, as you can see). The highrise developer project is only available on sourceforge as rFrank cut his losses and stopped hosting the forums. Highrise developer is in a late alpha (and has not been updated for a year), much farther than any other projects. The main coder, AlabamaCajun is busy with a real job and I decided to major in Chemistry instead of Computer Science so I stopped learning C++ (though I am auditing a class). I was in high school when this idea was founded and now I am busy in college.

Sorry for necromancing this thread, I was trying to find members formerly associated with the project to see if they want to do do anything. This is my second post because I was a lurker then lost interest as new games came out.

Return to “Off-Topic”