The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Pyoro »

Ah, yes, that was a fairly interesting part of the series, unfortunately so far at the end that there was no further exploration of what happened afterwards "on the international front".
Well, admittedly, my list of complaints is quite long and it's not the kind of things I'd read twice, but for a fantasy series very nice and satisfying. Definitely a recommendation, for anyone who's into some somewhat different fantasy that for once is not about slaying a great ancient evil monster with the holy sword by an adopted farmer's son, throwing fireballs at some orcs.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Staying up till 4:15am, just to finish watching Manchester City play Sporting Kansas City in America
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

I prefer Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon myself. The Tsuranni stuff gets a bit weird for my tastes.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I mainly read it for the female protagonist, and what she does - in the name of honor :lol:
...I see we don't have spoiler tags here. That's a bit of a shame, but I'll nonetheless say I've never before read about a heroine who just married someone so she could have a child and then force her husband into suicide. That was somehow just mind blowing. Most novels would claim that it's evil, and this one just says it's totally reasonable - even after it goes out of it's way to demonstrate that the guy wasn't really evil but just somewhat misguided and perhaps could've turned out quite ok in the long run. That's very unusual in so many ways, perhaps the best arc of the series. ^^

Right now I'm reading "A Trial of Blood and Steel" (apparently I'm in the mood for strong females currently). Unlike Mara she seems rather less inclined towards plotting, but she's very good at chopping people into pieces instead. That's got to count for something, I suppose, but it seems a bit stupid of her to make enemies left and right. Never heard of diplomacy, I guess ... oh well, can't have everything ;)
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Koreans discover a way to be at a Starcraft tournament and baseball stadium at once.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28484536

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

So today I learnt the 'one law for us, another for the police' also extends to bus stands*!
http://imghst.co/55/IMAG0537.jpg
Also yes, the fuzz have old land rovers up 'ere in the pennines. Perhaps they do outside of here too, no idea!

* possibly, I assume so. I tweeted West Yorkshire Police, perhaps they'll tell me otherwise or confirm it. Or like WYP usually do, ignore it.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
thphwh
Director
Director

Post by thphwh »

Just dusted off my 3DS. Anyone recommend any games? Anyone else got one, I should ask?
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

God, I don't know. I can't even find mine right now and I just cleaned the place up.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Redirect Left wrote:So today I learnt the 'one law for us, another for the police' also extends to bus stands*!
Also yes, the fuzz have old land rovers up 'ere in the pennines. Perhaps they do outside of here too, no idea!

* possibly, I assume so. I tweeted West Yorkshire Police, perhaps they'll tell me otherwise or confirm it. Or like WYP usually do, ignore it.
Police aren't subject to traffic parking laws but are required to avoid causing an obstruction when stopped.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Dave wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:So today I learnt the 'one law for us, another for the police' also extends to bus stands*!

Police aren't subject to traffic parking laws but are required to avoid causing an obstruction when stopped.
I would argue being in a (used) bus-bay is cause for obstruction. Wether the drivers dared to toot their horn or just find another stop.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

They have to have a reason for being there. They may have been on surveillance or something.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Dave wrote:They have to have a reason for being there. They may have been on surveillance or something.
I get the feeling that "Because it was close to Greggs" isn't going to wash!
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

I am so happy that physical exertion TV is nearly over for the summer; finally the BBC is going to start the shows that should have been on for months! Bake Off starts on Wednesday and the Apprentice soon too! Maybe a bit too excited but I don't care anymore!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

I've finally got a new phone, as part of my shopping spree today (which involved going into just 3 shops :lol: )
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

My first non-military re-enactment tomorrow. Edwardian attire for a picnic. This will undoubtedly involve flirting with young ladies whilst dressed in my most attractive outfit....
terry-thomas.jpg
terry-thomas.jpg (9.33 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I watched the LEGO movie last night. I liked it a lot, no, it was awesome. And am not sure if it actually was a children's movie. The 3D was nicely done as well. It had an added value but they didn't overdo it.
If you haven't seen it, I can totally recommend it if you like LEGO. :D
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

FooBar wrote:I watched the LEGO movie last night. I liked it a lot, no, it was awesome. And am not sure if it actually was a children's movie. The 3D was nicely done as well. It had an added value but they didn't overdo it.
If you haven't seen it, I can totally recommend it if you like LEGO are a human being with feelings. :D
Fixed it for you FooBar! :P Agreed - it's a fantastic film and most people should enjoy it.
Killianbass3
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Killianbass3 »

Well i got a new flash drive yesterday and ive decided that i have to use it to boot xp from it and well i think ive figured out how so if i can i wont have to use that annoying windows 8
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

You know, there's something called Windows 7, right? Which unlike XP is still supported, but unlike 8 still works like 95.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I am still partial to Windows XP, to an extent. Thing is, with computers that have more than 4 GB of RAM, 7 is the only real way to go. There was 64 bit XP, but it doesn't seem that great.
Without Trains America Stops

Return to “Off-Topic”