Yes, just a few days after alpha 7 I've released alpha 8 at http://www.ttdpatch.net/src/
, mostly because there were quite a few problems in alpha 7 (and I had the time to fix them...)
However, it's not just bug fixes in alpha 8. Thanks to some research by Marcin, I was able to introduce a new switch: "buildwhilepaused on" or -XB allows you to build, bulldoze, click on sign and give order while the game is paused. You show be able to do (almost) everything, in fact. However, I'm not sure if there was a reason why these things were not allowed in paused mode before. In particular, it may not work very well in multiplayer games. In single player, everything seems to work fine, though.
Note that if you build many things in paused mode, you'll run out of "slots" for the rising cost/income text effects, of which there are only 30. Because of this I've changed the way TTD allocates them, and so now instead of not displaying new ones if there's no room, the patch will get rid of the oldest one instead. This is activated by "buildwhilepaused" as well (although I'll probably move this into generalfixes eventually). If you'd run out of text effects, all the existing ones will move up a little, and the oldest one will expire. This may take some getting used to, but it's better than how it worked before...
Finally, Oskar has added a new configuration window inside the game, which currently allows you to change some of the "enhanced GUI" settings. To activate it, simply click on the empty gray bar in the settings menu, just under "Difficulty settings".
Oh, and Michael Blunck has released version 0.5 of the DB set. You can get that from http://www.ttdpatch.net/newgrf.html
. It fixes a graphical glitch with the TEE mail wagon when last in a train (backlights version only), and fixes DMU/EMU refitting according to a bug fix in 2.0.1 alpha 7.
I hope alpha 8 is more stable than alpha 7 was, but all the bugs reported to me since alpha 7 have been fixed, as far as I can tell.
All changes in 2.0.1 alpha 8 (November 17, 2003):
- changed the way the "+" displayed when a long train is continued on the next row of a depot
- fixed bug in calculation of trains with normal/fast/fastest (0/1/2) settings
- new switch: "buildwhilepaused on" or -XB allows (all?) construction while paused
- fixed bug with trains in depot incorrectly displayed as old (in red)
- fixed bug with clicking on train in depot while another train is leaving sometimes giving the wrong vehicles
- fixed bug with multihead on also turning on rvqueueing
- fixed crash when buying multiheaded train engines with multihead off and "mountains" not off
- fixed bug with incorrect train acceleration after loading game
- fixed bug with the wrong road vehicles being refittable
- by Oskar: add menu to choose enhanced gui settings; click on "empty" row in settings menu to open window